Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Colonial Williamsburg (Day 3)










Yesterday I went to Colonial Williamburg and I got a tricorner hat. I also saw lots of cool things like a blacksmith making nails. My favorite was the cabinetmaker but I didn't get to stay too long because everyone was leaving. He was talking about different types of wood and how you could drain the colors and use it as stain for simple woods like oak. He was showing us the design of a mirror that had all these fancy curves and golden leaves and when he passed us a corner of the mirror to hold, I could lift it with just one hand, it was surprisingly light. He was going to stain it with this log that washed up from the sea that's actually called "logwood." The cabinetmaker was my favorite spot.

My least favorite spot was the brickmaker. Just because I am reading a book called The Single Shard about Korean pottery and in it the main character collects and squishes clay with his feet, and there was an option to squish the clay, my Dad MADE ME DO IT. I knew that I shouldn't have done it because when I got in I sunk and my feet hit the floor. So I got out and in the process of getting out I slipped again. I caught myself both times, but it took forever to get the clay off of my feet and hands and I was really mad at my Dad for making me do it. He said it was "educational". They had other educational things and they were okay, such as the silversmith and the apothecary and the milliner.

We had dinner at Shield's Tavern. I got confused because all of the people who worked there were telling us to be as impolite as we wanted, but I had the polite contest to worry about, so I was wondering in this circumstance if it would be polite for the polite contest to be impolite? They just wanted you to have fun and do whatever the heck you wanted dance, sing, eat with your fingers, wear your hat at the table.

Connor

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are doing this blog. It's nice to see all the fun you are having. Tell everyone we said hello. Continue to enjoy!!!!
    Love and God bless,
    Grammie and Papa

    ReplyDelete