Tuesday, June 19, 2012

the Park River

On Fathers Day, my Dad, some guy named Bob, and I went canoeing down the park river, a 9 mile underground conduit in Hartford. We had been preparing months in advance and  on Fathers Day we were ready.  We had lights, helmets, a water proof camera, life jackets,  shoes, and a vuvuzela (one of those plastic horns that was banned from the World Cup).  We laid out the canoe, put our stuff on and were ready to go, we even met up with Bob, a guy who was also going down the Park River anyways and said he would come with us.  We were almost set to go and then we realized that we had forgotten the lights at home.

After we drove home to get the flashlights,  we rode upstream in through the south tunnel with me paddling and my Dad canoe poling (You stand up in the center of a canoe with a twelve foot long pole and push off the bottom to go upstream).  We went all the way through the river only stopping to play with my vuvuzela, ride a bike, look at a car and look at an underground pump room. 

I blew into my vuvuzela and it echoed for 26 seconds! Isn't that awesome, 26 seconds... really! The video does not do it credit, the camera  is in a closed plastic waterproof case on my Dad's head so the sound isn't the greatest. We found an old small bike with no brakes and no working pedals covered in sea weed, that I picked up and rode around in a circle on the side of an under ground river. Another great find was a half exposed half submerged car that some people likely stole and then drove down into the river, crashed it and ran off, letting the water move it deeper into the tunnel over time.

I had an AWESOME time going down the river and would gladly go back.   Check out some of the videos.

more soon Connor  
    



P.S.  up next "Iowa"

No comments:

Post a Comment